Wednesday, September 10, 2014

MIDI Week Singles: Pushing Onwards - VVVVVV (PC)


From what I remember, "Pushing onwards" is one of the first songs you hear in VVVVVV and it is what drove me to continue playing the game, albeit for only a total of 25 minutes; I know Dr. Potts, I know, I should be playing more, but that will have to come later.  But the point is, this song is golden.

"Pushing Onwards" from VVVVVV on PC, Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita, iOS & Android (2010)
Game Developer: Terry Cavanagh
Music Composed by: Souleye (aka: Magnus Pålsson)

"Pushing Onwards" is the perfect name for this song.  Whenever I'm running (which isn't too often if we're being honest) and this song comes up, I get into this unabashedly feelgood vibe where I don't care about anything else.  When the song reaches the main theme climax at 1:46 and 3:08, every time I have to jump in the air, mid run punching my fist up to the sky.  Give it a try after listening to the song a first time, try running with this song playing and try not to have smile on your face.

While the rest of the songs on PPPPPP are all very good in their own rights, "Pushing Onwards" is really the highlight of the entire album.  That is really all I have to say about the rest of the album, but we're here to focus on a single song anyways.

"Pushing Onwards" also reminds me a lot of the magnificent score from Mega Man II which then creates whatever chemical reaction happens in the brain whenever we experience positive nostalgia from our past.  That is a feeling that I hope that I will never grow out of and I am thankful that this song is able to do that for me.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. I have so many things to say in response! First, it warms my hear that you did a post on a song from VVVVVV. Second, I'm pretty sure I know which song this one is, and I think you described it perfectly when you said that it made you keep playing the game. (even if for only 25 minutes). That is the exact thing that happened to me, and I just love that a games music can keep you playing it. That just makes me happy.

    If you haven't played it all the way through, that's okay - VVVVVV is a eye-gougingly tough game, and you've probably saved yourself a few grey hairs by not putting yourself through that hell. Then again - I loved it. But if we were to compare lists of games we loved that the other hadn't played, or finished... well, I think you would be way ahead on that list.

    Either way - I think this series is a great idea, I love how it's shaping up. I have some game/song suggestions too, but I'll send those later.

    ReplyDelete