Wednesday, June 10, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Filmoa" - ActRaiser (SNES)


First off, how the hell have we not done any music from ActRaiser!?  That is now changing!

"Filmoa" from ActRaiser on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1991)
Composer: Yuzo Koshiro
Developer: Quintet (Now part of Square Enix)


There are so many amazing tracks from the ActRaiser soundtrack that I should probably just do a Game Scores article. . . I will do a Game Scores article about the music from ActRaiser.  But today, I am going to highlight the music from the first action sequence in the game, the forest stage in Filmoa.  I remember thinking when I first played this stage the the music reminded me of music that I was like to find in a Castlevania game, which is never a bad thing when it come to comparisons.  Even just listening to the music makes me wonder why I'm not playing the game right now.

What's interesting to me about "Filmoa," is that it doesn't scream "YOU'RE IN A FOREST OF DEMONS!"  All the music tells me is that this game is going to be exciting and there will be some amazing music the accompany you along the way.  "Filmoa" is like the opening track on an album, put there up front to hook the audience, meanwhile wondering if this song is going to be the only good thing on the whole album.  Then you remember the title track (to be covered in the upcoming Games Scores article) and you feel reassured.  Or maybe you don't.  The point is, I love this song which is why I'm sharing it with y'all today.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment