Wednesday, February 4, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Empire" - GUN: Showdown (PSP)


"Empire" from Gun: Showdown on the PlayStation Portable (2006)
No official soundtrack release (that I was able to find)


This was kind of a hard choice for me, which means I probably should do a Game Scores article for the music from Gun: Showdown.  But what I love about this particular track, is how amazingly good the quality of the music is, considering that it's from an eight year old video game.  This is the quality that all video game soundtracks should aspire to, if they're aiming for a real instrument sound that is (not looking at you Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV), and if they have it in their budget.

Whenever this song comes up, I immediately think that I'm listening to a track from Firefly, what with the slide guitar and fiddle.  It's a pretty minimalist song now that I really think about it.  There's a cameo of sorts with the trumpet just over a minute in that conjures any western score that Ennio Morricone has ever written (I even feel a hint of Hans Zimmer's use of the trumpet in his score to Backdraft), but then when you're starting to get a feel for the melody it's playing, it's gone as the guitar, fiddle and whatever type of drum that is come in then fade out before the song reaches the two minute mark.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. I like the heaviness of the percussion against the old timey western instruments.

    ReplyDelete