Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Movely Update - Movember, 2014




Greetings, Poetry Lovers!

It turns out there is a new trend, started by actor Topher Grace, of re-editing the Star Wars prequels. I watched one called 'Return to the Dark Side' but I didn't think it was anything special. It actually re-affirmed my distaste for the prequel trilogy. The same sorts of questions came up, like why he needed to include R2 and C3PO, or how it is that Jedi can show so much emotion and not get called out on it. Also, I still don't like Hayden Christensen in the role. I always imagined Vader was a grown adult and not a whiny kid. Ah, well, c'est la vie.

In the previous month, read a few Lovecraft short stories, but otherwise did not celebrate spookiness. I did, however, dabble in weirdness, which often overlaps with spookiness - Lovecraft being a fine example. For reference: Don Hertzfeltd recently did a Couch Gag for the Simpsons. This guys work is a lesson in strangeness. I'm not the first to say the Simpsons is way past its prime, and I won't be the last. But having Hertzfeltd as a guest was really refreshing, for it's utter and total weirdness, and even a touch of melancholy. Give it a watch, and then maybe check out some other work from Don Hertzfeltd.

I first encountered Don Hertzelftd's work at Spike and Mike's Twisted Animation Festival at the Crest Theater. After countless bizarre, disgusting and offensive cartoons, came Hertzfeld's 'Rejected.' And it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I guess I was just in the right frame of mind for his clever strangeness. Years after, I still love to recite 'I, am a banana!' it was great to see his work again, and in true form.

In other news, my first assignment at the University Temp Agency has come to a close, so now I get unpaid days off until they find a new one. It shouldn't take too long, because the University temp agency has a great reputation. I was just getting used to where i was working too, there's definitely a sense of loss. I guess those are the knocks at temporary employment. My postings might drop off a bit because I may not have as much downtime at this new position. We'll just have to wait and see.

I started using google + because Facebook was kind of getting me down. And mostly I've been joining different interest groups, like bicycle commuting, retro gaming, indie game developers. It's been a pretty cool source of new and interesting things, like this kickstarter.

Further news... no? okay.


-D






No comments:

Post a Comment