Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wee-mini-pre-impressions of Skyrim

I just played Skyrim for an hour, which in Skyrim time works out to be about five minutes.  My settings are just about at the very bottom of the graphical settings, and it runs pretty well.  The framerate isn't great, but it's definitely playable.

The good:  yep, this game is gorgeous.  Even at low, low settings, it is a sight to behold.  The ease of wandering combined with the graphics and sound and I can see how I can waste a million-billion hours in Skyrim.  I enjoy looting and building my equipment, making choices about how heavy I want to run etc.  I really love my Spark spell so far, and I think magic will be an important part of how I play this game.  I also enjoyed building my character, even if it wasn't anything special.

Also:  Butterflies.  There are butterflies.  nice touch.

The not as good:  I'm still getting adjusted to the controls.  I need to increase the mouse speed, but I can't do that in-game.    I made an important change to make both mouse buttons correspond to my attacks - this was helpful.  And at first when I was looting, I just kept dropping things without meaning to!  It was aggravating.  Another thing that annoys me a little is that you can't climb up onto things.  Like, there's a rock in my way and I can jump half way the necessary height, and if my character would just grab hold and lift herself up.  But alas.  I can swim in armor, but I can't climb.  Seems like a strange oversight given how explorable this game is.

My next order of business is to wander around for the forseeable future.  I don't care to die any time soon, so I am somewhat concerned, as I'm still getting a feel for the battle system.

I think I'll check out morrowind soon.

-D

P.S.  Gosh darned if I can't seem to get my screencaps working right.  More to come!

2 comments:

  1. When you said that you played an hour, my first thought was, okay, so you watched the intro and designed your character. That's it? I think I easily spent 20 minutes just designing what my character would look like as well as figuring out which race would be the most fun (for me) balanced with the various perks that each class carries.

    As far as the bad, I never considered being able to grab onto objects/walls/rocks until after I played Assassin's Creed, now it does feel like something's missing, but ah well. And yeah, swimming with full plate armor on is pretty ridiculous, but it's something that's in every Elder Scrolls game, so at least they're consistent.

    I'm glad you're liking the game and that it's playable, even on low setting and agreed that even then, it's still a beautiful game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that intro music too! I frequently just have to let the song go through once before I begin playing it's so damn good!

    ReplyDelete