Wednesday, August 6, 2014

MIDI Week Singles: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Ending (SNES)


So I decided to combine the first weeks popular-cliched choice with last weeks semi-random and go with the "Ending" theme from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

"Ending" from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 1991
Record Label: Sony (June 22, 1994)
Music Composed by: Koji Kondo


I have no data to back up my assumption, but I feel that when most people think of the music from the Legend of Zelda franchise, that the "Overworld" theme or "Zelda's Theme" are what come to mind.  That is the case for myself as well, but the "Ending" from A Link to the Past is one of my favorite themes from these games.  It makes me a little sad that this theme has not been reused since 1994, or if it has then I apologize for not knowing about it.  I admit that I have not played every Legend of Zelda game (specifically Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds and I have yet to finish Twilight Princess).

My love for the song could also have to do with the fact that I figured out how to play it on my trumpet back in high school and it was one of the songs that I would warm up with before band practice, even while in the Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh!, it was a staple warm up song for me.  I find it to be a great fanfare-type piece that fits with the rest of the music from the game surprisingly well considering that this is the one and only time in A Link to the Past that this particular theme is heard.

Really, it is a great song from a game that has a great soundtrack.  You cannot really go wrong with 23 year old music from Koji Kondo.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment