Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ramble: Erosion and Minecraft

Aside:  I think I might finally buy Minecraft.  I don't know.  I haven't bought a full-priced game in years.  Minecraft is $27.  I know, what a cheapskate.  

The thing that makes me hesitate most is time.  I have gotten the impression that Minecraft takes a lot of time.  One brick at a time, as a matter of fact.  That bugs me.  There's got to be a better way.  I've seen some incredible things people have done in Minecraft, but how much time?  Oh how much time.  Anyhow, on to what I was actually thinking, but may never end up doing.  

 I saw a beautiful picture today --wait-- I can show you here:





 
Isn't that beautiful?  It's like, a waterfall, flowing into a pool, but the pool is sunken in from the forest floor, and it's surrounded by dense green foliage.  It's amazing!  And I'd love to recreate this in a video game, and the obvious video game is Minecraft.

Except, then I came up with another idea, and I don't know if Minecraft can do this.   How did this pool get to be sunken?  Maybe it's because the soil around it is not very dense, and thus is eroded more easily.  That seems reasonable.  It's what happened to the grand canyon, right?   Well then - in Minecraft, can you do something like this?  Can you set up a river, surrounded by a not-dense landscape, that will slowly erode away?

Wouldn't that be sweet?!!

I've always loved it when games and stories feature a developing landscape over a period of years and centuries.  It's the best!   I would love, love, love to have a game or simulator where I could start out with one design, and let time work its influence over a period of virtual years.  And then, maybe get to go futz around in the landscape, just for giggles.

It's all a matter of setting a series of timers, right?  Water flow, density of earth, wind, rain, tides.  Weee!  More water leads to more life, but cut off the water source, and things will dry.  Plants will die, different plants and animals will thrive.  You can craft stories around this and let them play out in real time.  

Anyway, that's my idea.  I'll let you know if I make any progress whatsoever on it.

-D



No comments:

Post a Comment