Wednesday, October 29, 2014

MIDI Week Singles: "City Zone" - Faceball 2000 (SNES)


"City Zone" from Faceball 2000 on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1992).
No official soundtrack release
Developed by: Xanath Software F/X


Unsurprisingly, there is not a whole lot of music from Faceball 2000 out there in the Interlands.  There are even fewer videos up on Youtube to pull music from.  The music from Faceball 2000 was composed by George "The Fat Man" Sanger, who also composed the music for all other iterations of this game that previously came out on the Gameboy and Atari ST (1987 and 1991 respectively).

What I find interesting for myself, is that I never owned any version of Faceball 2000, but played the hell out of the copy that Dr. Potts had on the SNES.  I could probably still never sing you any of the songs from game as they are all odd in both their melody and cadance.  But, but, BUT, I still find them all catchy and make me feel like a 12 year old all over again, maybe riding my bike over to Dr. Potts house for a weekend of video gaming and pb&jers.

It is most likely one of those songs that unless you grew up playing this game, you may run the high risk of not only not liking this song or the rest of the music from the game, but find it grating on your ears.  Just throw in a bunch of "BOW" sound effects and you'll be right at home.  Nevertheless, I still like it, which is how and why "City Zone" found its way here to MIDI Week Singles.  



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian


P.S.  And if anyone out there actually has all the MIDI or mp3 files for this game, let me know, as I seem to be unable to locate them out there in the hinterlands.

2 comments:

  1. What a great choice! This game. This game was so strange. Even by the standards for FPS of the time, it was a bit antiquated, but lots of fun! I always wanted an updated version that was maybe a little less... skippy. Whatever.
    Listening to hte theme, I notice that while there are certain portions that repeat, there are variations that happen pretty far into the song, I think it only repeats once completely in this 4 minute recording.
    We bought htis game for its strangness. Thsi was another game my Dad got into. And when he got into a game, we were pretty much guaranteed to buy it. I don't think this one held his interest quite as long as other games, but I know it was the oddness that he loved about it.
    These are great memories. Thanks! And as always:

    HAVE A NICE DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that yesterday I had this song running through my head. This was certainly due to having listened to the song as a MIDI week single. The refresher brought the song back into my present memory, and was a very pleasant companion while I was biking home from work.
    HAVE A NICE DAY

    ReplyDelete