Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Shadow of the Eternals: Spiritual Successor to Eternal Darkness (Special Wednesday Edition, Now on Tuesday!!)


Yes, it's very much true.

Precursor Games, the development company, is made up of former employees of Silicon Knights, the people who brought us Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on the Game Cube back in 2002.  After years of speculation and rumor, Eternal Darkness is finally getting it's much deserved and awaited sequel. . . sort of.  

Everything is best explained on the company's crowd-funding page, which is separate from Kickstarter, Indiegogo or other independently run funding sites.

I discovered this early this morning when I happened to look at the Wikipedia page for Eternal Darkness, just to see if there had been any news about either the rumored sequel or about the lawsuit against Silicon Knights.  That's when I saw the information about Shadow of the Eternal from an article on Nintendo Fuse, which has a great Q&A/FAQ regarding the game.  The main question I had at the time was what platform(s) was the game to be released on.  Answer: initially Wii U and PC.

And that's when I found out that the crowd-funding thing was still going on and in fact, had just begun. 

So yes, I became a supporter.

Then I watched the Campaign Video and the Trailer.  Which I will watch again once I'm finished writing this. And there's an interview that Denis Dyack did with IGN which includes ~9 minutes of gameplay footage as well as a 12 minute interview about the game and Precursor Games.

Now, I want to be as optimistic as possible, but when I first saw the $1,500,000 goal with only $84,000 and  the remaining $1,416,000, which meant that they would have to average $47,200 a day to reach their goal, I felt a little pit in my stomach.  $47k a day is quite a bit of money, no matter how you look at it.  But, if you look at it in that for $1,500,000 to be raised in 30 days would require $50,000/day and the total is now (as of this typing) at $102,912, they're on their way.

So, my plea to anyone reading this:  If you've played Eternal Darkness and liked/loved anything about it, please help to make Shadow of the Eternals a playable game.  I would like to give more information, but you should really just go check out all the information available on the game/company/crowd-funding page.  It's there in all it's unnameable horrific Lovecraftian inspired glory.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment