Saturday, January 26, 2013

Weekend Link Dump




Indies guide to game making
This is a great, informative and compact article that reviews six different game making programs.  The writer dedicates one page to each, and the review comes in the form of an interview with a person who has completed and released a game using that system.  Examples are:  Cannabalt, To the Moon, AAAaaAAaa, Spelunky and more.  Written by Tom Francis, currently developing a game called Gunpoint.
Wow, I have to say that there is WAY more going on in the world of gaming than I can ever hope to contain!





Some kind of art   
This is the tumblr maintained by my friend John.  Like many of us, I tend to just consume and talk about games, but John studies, works with, curates and organizes games and events.  He doesn't seem to sleep all that much, though.  Anyway, he turns me on to a lot of good stuff.



Extra Credits  
This is my favorite video game related series of videos.  I love these guys; for me, they really sparked a new interest in the craft of video game design.  Something I have always been interested, ever since I was a wee lad.  They've got four full seasons now, and I recommend s1ep21: 'Narrative Mechanics', s2ep2: 'playing like a designer' , s2ep13: 'Games you might not have tried'. 
Or just start from the beginning.  The episodes run about 10 minutes, and they always come with cool rearranged video game music at the end.





Free Indie Games
A website for free indie games.  I just glanced at it, but I want to spend some more time here.  I think it just may be a gold mine.  Or... a... umm... some other kind of mine.  It seems that there are a lot of experimental or abstract games here.  Anyway, the game that brought me here is called Corpse Garden.  And I want to check it out.  The images are pretty rad.
And then another game that I just happened to wander over to, and just take a good look, was called Anne Hathaway: Erotic Mouthscape.   It seems to be a poetry game dedicated to Anne Hathaway's Mouth.  Amazing. Weird.





Nintendojo
I can't believe this website is still active.  Way back in 1997, when I was a newbie to the internet, Nintendojo was one of three sites I used to cruise.  It turns out, they stayed alive, even when n64.com was swallowed up by IGN, and ... the other... one.. that I can't remember.  Anyway.  1997 was a lont time ago, and it turns out Nintendojo still has archives going back that far.  It's very interesting to me to see how defensive some of the game reviews on.  Those console wars were turbulent times.



I did another link dump a while back, if you're at all interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment