Sunday, June 24, 2012

Post On Video Game Reviews diverges into digression about lacto-fermentation and local music

I grew up reading video game reviews.  If I was anticipating a game, or if I already played it and liked it, I would read the whole review.  Otherwise, I would just browse the scores.  I like numbers, always have,  so I figure that while I'm reviewing games, I may as well score them.

I don't know what categories I will use.  I guess I'll do 5 point system, or maybe a 4.  And only integers- no decimals.  I think I'll go with 4, it's more severe.   The greater the numerical range, the finer you can slice the rating.  I like the challenge of justifying a bigger slice.  But I also like the idea of earning bonus points, granted through a finer-tuned rating system.  A point for this, a point for that.  No, no, no bonus points.  Severe. 4 points.  Stars. Blogs? Or I may abandon the whole idea

 Or I may abandon the whole idea of a numerical rating system. Whatever.  I'm not too worried about it.

.  Whatever.  I'm not too worried about it.  The way I look at it, this blog is a stomping ground.  A place for me to practice expressing myself through writing.  I don't have to impress anyone- yet.

And that's my favorite part of writing in this thing.  You may not know this about me, but I have a deep-seeded desire to be cool.  Hip.  Both Funky and Fresh.  Like a good sauerkraut.  But this probiotic ambition of mine can sometimes lead to stress and anxiety.  Boo. No good.  Don't need any more of that, get enough at work, thank you.   But writing about video games is a way of relieving that stress.

Perhaps I'm writing this way because I saw a bunch of local bands and performers last night at the Davis Music Festival.  None of these people are "big-time," but they've all been doing this for years.  As I sat listening to their honeyed voices and guitar plinks, I thought "we are not so different, you and I."  The most important difference is that they're up there doing it, working at it, practicing.  And me, well, I'm a little behind.  By now many of these people I see on stage are a good five years younger than I am.  Belch.  Woops.

Alright, this digression has gotten me to a fifth paragraph, so it can't be all bad.  If it's half as enjoyable to read as it was to write, then you've probably already turned away to read something else by now.  But I'll keep on anyway.  Right- I was going to stop digressing.  Here goes:

I am not reviewing games as a demonstration of the authority I have gained through playing games for so many years.  I acknowledge that I've actually missed a great deal of the development of video gaming during the middle 2000's when I really didn't play very many games.  Truly, I don't know what I'm talking about.  But that's not why I'm writing reviews.  I'm writing reviews to Express Myself.

And if anyone out there, in this big crazy internet of ours, finds my writing entertaining or informative- well then that's just a great bonus.  Gold Star for me!  If anyone finds my writing irritating, then I hope they stop reading it.  Or offer helpful suggestions in a courteously delicate way.  My self esteem is a soap-bubble: fun to play with, but easily popped.  Or wait, maybe that's not right.  See?  This is why I'm doing this- to one day come up with accurate metaphors and similes.  

Or maybe I could just get an editor.



No comments:

Post a Comment