Monday, December 2, 2013

Monthly Update: December 2013

Yes, I know that I've missed two Friday posts in-a-row and no to both the questions I already asked on your behalf.  1) No, this was not on purpose.  Thanksgiving got in the way of when I usually do my Friday writing plus Thursday 28th was my only day off from work last week; as in I worked Sun - Wed and Fri through today.  2) No, this is not becoming "a thing" as the hep kids like to say.

Monday, Monday, Monday!  Monday Night Football?  Nope, I'll be at work and since the 49ers already won this week, I don't think that I'll care.  I'll probably still steal a glance if any of the residents have it on, which they probably will.

On the video games front, I finally got back to Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together which I restarted back in February and haven't played since April.  With any luck, I'll come out with a First Impression before the end of the year, but I realize I've been saying that since April, but there you have it, another statement of intent.

On the 3/DS, I've gotten back to Infinite Space.  Sort of.  I am currently stuck on a battle that I previously mentioned.  It may be time that I resort to GameFAQs for help on how to defeat this particular boss.  It's a beast that, at least at this point in time, looks unsurmountable, which can be a bit of a mood-killer if you've already invested over 20 hours into a game.  So that may have to happen.

Steam is almost through with their Autumn sale and I would like to admit that for the most part, I've been a good boy.  Conklederp told me to tell her if I wanted any games for Christmas and I said that there were some games that I had on my wishlist there that I'd been looking at, so I've been trying (trying really hard) not to buy anything.  Except I may have already bought a game or two.  But in mine own defence, they were both under $3 each.  I have to keep telling myself that unless I plan on playing the game that's on sale immediately, there really isn't a reason to buy it as it will be available at a cheaper price in the future when I am ready to play it.  Plus, I'm sure that in less than a month, there will be a Steam Christmas/New Years sale, so I'll have another week of restraint to look forward to.

A week or two ago, Salty Liver (Conklederp's friend from school whom I now work with) mentioned that she had bought Assassin's Creed II, which has now become a nagging seed for me.  For whatever reason, I've never been overly interested in that particular series.  Sure I looked at the games from afar, then a bit up close when two were released on the DS, but nothing more than that.  Then she brings up that AC2 is a lot of fun and before I knew what was going on, a seed was planted in my brain and I'm trying very hard not to water it.  I don't need another long series of open world games on top of all the games that I have yet to play.  And yet, I feel the Miracle Gro being put next to the watering can.  

Enough of clever metaphor, too meta for me. . .eh, eh!?

About a month or so ago, I decided that every December I would read Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather. When I first read it back in April, I quickly felt that not only did The Hogfather encapsulate everything that the Christmas season is supposed to be about (giving, helping people), but it also pointed out all the hypocrisy and blind-eye-turning that goes on during the end-of-the-year holidays.  This wasn't a revelation to me, but I just loved how Pratchett put everything together.  The only problem with starting this, is that I am currently reading six other books.  But that doesn't matter.  It's a great book and it shall be read again and if I still feel the same way after reading it a second time, it will be come an annual tradition.

Sticking with books, I picked up a copy of The Complete Lovecraft, which is a volume that you can buy for retail at a Barnes & Noble.  The reason the book was bought, was because, as far as I know, it is the only complete collection of fiction by H.P. Lovecraft.  Something very important however, is that there are two editions of the book.  The first edition is apparently full of misspellings, accidental corrections and typos.  The second edition has all of those errors corrected.  Now since the books are all individually wrapped in plastic, the only way to know which edition you're buying is by the color of the satin bookmark attached to the binding.  The first error filled edition has a yellow/gold color satin bookmark.  The second proofed edition has a purple bookmark.  Buy the book with the purple bookmark.  The only drawback to buying this and not, say, the edition from the Library of America, is that the book is not annotated.

Another tome that I recently purchased was The History of The Hobbit: One-Volume Edition.  I had previously heard about the two volume set, but since it wasn't part of Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth series, I wasn't sure if it was "legit."  After seeing Richard Armitage (Thorin in The Hobbit trilogy of films) bring up these books and looking deeper into their existence, my fears were relieved and more so since the book arrived last week.  I'm looking forward to reading it, once I finish volume XII of the History of Middle Earth: The Peoples of Middle Earth, which is the last book in the series, published in 1996; a series that I began back, I think sometime in the early 2000's.

All of this is what December 2013 is looking to be.  It's honestly hard to believe that 2013 is almost over.  I have memories of January 2013 (just not all of the 1st though) and to be 12 months ahead of that, it's always an odd feeling.  Odd, yet familiar and slightly comforting.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you have to ask yourself: "Just what is this Meta for?"

    haw haw haw.

    ReplyDelete