Friday, May 18, 2012

That Reminds Me.....

I don't know what I'd call this or what it means, maybe that's just for me to decide and for you to interpret.  The basic phenomenon is when you're doing (or encounter) one thing that reminds you of another thing.  Like the smell of pine trees and fruit roll ups reminds me of camping in Yosemite when I was a kid.  Wet bricks and chlorine remind me of swimming lessons when I was anywhere between 2 and, what 10?  Smells in the neighborhood that I grew up in are make me feel as if I was 13 again, walking home from Jr. High.   Anyway, you get the idea I'm trying to make.

So now I'm at work (I do residential caregiving-type work at an assisted living facility for seniors) and shaving a gentleman's face.  Everything is fine and nothing's out of the ordinary.  Until I get to the left side of his face.  Nothing is wrong with the gentleman's face and he's quite good looking for someone in their mid 90s.  So I'm shaving the left side of his face and all of a sudden I'm thinking about the Tchita Uplands from Final Fantasy XII.  I have no idea why this creeps up and it's happened on more than one occasion before I noticed that it was happening.  I don't think it has anything do with the circumstances as I don't recall any shaving side quests or marks in the game (although I didn't complete all the marks due to not having unlimited time).  Now every time I shave the left side of his face, I think of that area in FFXII, but now I'm not sure if it's because that feelings happened a number of times or because it actually is somehow reminding me of the game.

Another thing that comes up is that because I work at an assisted living facility for "seniors," there's music pumped through the speakers in all the hallways.  This is both orchestral, big band and popular music from the 1940s and 50s.  You know what game that I'm playing also has music from the 1940s and 50s?  Yup, Bioshock.  So a couple of times each day at work when I focus on the music that's being played, I immediately start thinking about Plasmids and Splicers lurking around the corners.

Another auditory cue that brings a memory/feeling back is the "aahh" noise during the HBO title/static sequence.  To me, it sounds a lot like the "aahh" sound from Eternal Darkness. (Comparison sounds clips on youtube were not available for comment).

I don't really know how to end this one, so I'll just wish everyone a pleasant weekend.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
I Can Remember Days At A Time

No comments:

Post a Comment