Friday, May 4, 2012

Currently Playing 2: Realm of the Mad God



This game is great.  It's free, simple, original, quick to pick up, and it has some depth.  The learning curve is not too harsh, the reward system is steady and it expands the game.  This game is a "hardcore" game, by Diablo standards - which means that when your character dies - he's dead.  No resurrection, no saving, just dead as a doornail.  I think that's actually pretty cool, and rare in games.  In addition, when you start a new class, you start over from level 1, so the player is regularly going through the learning curve, and the game becomes easier to progress through, easier to set goals and achieve them.

The game is basically a non-stop level and loot fix.  In addition to the loot fix, the goal system is a big part of the appeal.  There are about a dozen different classes, and each one is opened by playing an existing class.  It goes: wizard, priest, archer, thief, knight... and so on (that's as far as I've gotten).  These classes are opened up when you get to level 10 on the previous class in the order, so level 10 priest gets you archer, level 10 archer gets you thief, and so on.  And while you are playing through as one class, you will encounter equipment drops for other classes that you have yet to play as. This is encouraging:  I want to know what a sorcerer plays like, or an assassin.  I believe he gets to carry a skull, which is cool.

The game is also co operative.  I haven't had much experience with this element, but I'm getting the drift that it may be the way to go.  Possibly the next step on the learning curve.  Because this is how it works:  You don't party up in any formal sense, but player share experience for enemies killed in the same vicinity.  So it is in everyone's best interest to work together.  I think it may be the key to the higher levels (I've capped out at level 12).  

So, cooperation is a level of depth I haven't yet reached in this game, and I am eager to see how it contributes to gameplay.  Human beings are always an interesting addition to any game dynamic.  There are rules about loot acquisition, and I've witnessed some real tantrums about loot theft.  On the other hand, I've also had a level 15 guy stop my little level 1 character and just hand him a bunch of great equipment.  That was totally rad- refreshed my faith in humanity.  You are able to save up to 8 items in a vault from one game to the next, and thus share your with your other classes, or, if you want, other players.  

Realm of the Mad God.  Came out of nowhere, free to play, mouse and keyboard and you can play it in your browser.  Rating:  Highly Recommended.  


No comments:

Post a Comment