Wednesday, May 6, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Battle of Hope" - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)


"Battle of Hope" from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the Game Boy Advance (2003)
Composed By: Ayako Saso
Released By: DigiCube SSCX-10083~4



As weird as it may sound, I don't think this is a great song, nor is it the best song on the album.  It's even the Game Boy Advance compression of the song and not the uncompressed version that's available on the second disc of the soundtrack.  What this song does though, is remind me of how much fun I had playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, how much time I spent playing that game (125+ hours I believe), the fact that I bought it a second time after thinking that I had lost the game along with me Game Boy Advance only to find both stuffed in the couch cushions of my parent's couch.  To me, this song is mostly about nostalgia.  It's also a good song that captures the feeling of battles in this Game Boy Advance title in the Final Fantasy Tactics series.

While FFTA was a watered down version of the masterpiece that was Final Fantasy Tactics, it was still very much engaging (It's the game that introduced the now staple Judges to the world of Ivalice).  It had a light hearted feel littered with darker elements that would not have worked in the original 1999 title.  "Battle of Hope," I feel, embodies that sense of fantasy and adventure that I look for and want to feel anytime I play/read a fantasy story in a medieval-type setting.  What Ayako Saso brings is perfect for the what is used for the majority of the battles, or at least what I remember playing.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment