Tuesday, November 19, 2013

All The Things Here Have Been Happening

So the Playstation 4 dropped um, some few days back.  I don't really know because I wasn't one of the umteen thousands that did pre-order one.  I also didn't pre-order an Xbox One either.  I don't think I've ever pre-ordered a system, ever.  I'm the guy who waits until a system is (typically) under $100 before I will buy it, although that didn't hold true when I bought the DS and 3DS; although I did have $125 worth of gift cards and such when I bought the 3DS.  Maybe I prefer to wait and see what kind of library a system is going to have before buying the operating system.  That being said, I will have nothing to add to news about the Playstation IV.

Desert Bus for Hope is on again and the people at LoadingReadyRun will be playing towards their goal of 139 consecutive hours.  Presently they're at 71 hours, so they still have two days 16 hours-ish left.  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it a bunch of Canadians playing a game where you drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas Nevada (409 miles) at a max (only) speed of 45mph.  It's basically a hit-a-thon of sorts with all the proceeds going to Child's Play, a charity that is better described on their own site.

Earlier today I just finished watching everything that was on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition blu-ray.  Conklederp and I have been going through the two new Appendices discs (titled Appendices VII & VIII to coincide with the Appendix discs from the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings movies) and I finished the commentary this afternoon before heading off for work; you know, when I should have been writing this.  I come from the camp that liked what Peter Jackson and company did in The Hobbit.  I went in not expecting a play-by-play of the book as it is "based" off of J.R.R. Tolkien's work.  I personally don't mind that the movies are expanding on the events in The Hobbit that were referred to elsewhere (The Lord of the Rings and included appendices).  I also understand that while some things work in a book, such as Gandalf disappearing when the Dwarves are captured by the Goblins, when the audience would find it hard to believe, knowing what we already know about Gandalf and instead have him stalling the Elves in Rivendel and catching up with them later.  I could write a lot more about this film version of The Hobbit, but that became a post all of it's own and I rambled while trying to state that I enjoyed the movie, which I have already said.  Lastly though, I will say that in the 13 minutes of additional content added to the movie, are two songs, one by the Dwarves while in Rivendel and the other by the Great Goblin.  Basically, pretty much every question I had regarding decisions that deviated from The Hobbit book were answered in either the commentary (sadly of which there was only one, that being with Peter Jackson and Phillipa Boyens although they do do a great job, I would have liked there to have been more commentaries) or the nine hours of behind the scenes documentaries.  Basically, I'm very happy with the extended cut and the special features.

In other gaming related news, I'm heading back to Infinite Space after a bit of a frustrated hiatus at not being able to defeat a particular series of enemies culminating in a boss fight.  I'm going to need a bigger ship. . . and bigger guns. . . and bigger shields.  I also figured out a way around dwindling stats in Morrowind and the tactic there is called BUY ALL THE POTIONS!!!  I've also put Dead Island on hold for a bit, but that's really just Morrowind's fault and I will get back to Torchlight II, you know, when I'm no longer trying to save the world. . . again.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment