Monday, February 4, 2013

Don't Let CPS Happen To You!

First off, I'm sad about the 49ers losing Super Bowl 47.  Yes, I am a San Francisco 49er fan.  I always have been, at least as long as I've been a fan of football, which has been most of my life.  I remember wearing a Dwight Clark jersey a lot during kindergarten, although I seem to recall being a little sad when I found out/realized it wasn't a Joe Montana jersey.  Whatever.  I also wore a shirt that depicted a gold prospector carrying a dolphin in a net (which probably wouldn't fly with PETA today for advocating the capturing of dolphins in tuna nets).  The point is, I didn't just jump on the recent 49er bandwagon and I am legitimately sad that they lost the Super Bowl.  And yes, I will still wear the 49er Super Bowl XLVII shirt my mother sent me.

Now that that's out of the way, I just received Scribblenauts Unlimited in the mail on Saturday and I've played about 30 minutes of the game.  This isn't a "First Impressions," so I'm not going to review it just yet.  The point is, is that I took The World Ends With You out of my 3DS and I need to tell myself that I did that only just to give Scribblenauts a quick go and then I'm going to get back to TWEWY,  It's not gone for good.

That's kind of the point and something that I have had a problem with in the past.  Christmas Present Syndrome?  Is that a thing?  Apparently not, but what I mean is that growing up, every Christmas Day, our family would drive to Oakland for Christmas with my Mom's side of the family and I would usually pick out a gift that I'd received so that I could not only keep playing with it, but show it off to all my other cousins who would frequently do the same thing.  What I mean by Christmas Present Syndrome, is that feeling that you absolutely have to play with that new thing and for a while, only play with that one thing.  I do that with video games and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

The problem with CPS and video games for me, is that I will sometimes not finish a game that I started, regardless of how far I am in the game.  If I'm not careful, I feel like this could happen to TWEWY, and I really don't want it to because it's the kind of game that you build up memory and skills and I feel you can lose them if you don't keep practicing.

Two games that this has happened to me with were Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, both on the DS.  With FFXII:RW, I was only a couple of hours into the game before I picked up a newly purchased game, it might've even been the first Scribblenauts game, but I may be making false connections here.  I don't know what game it was that got me to put down SMT:ST, but I was very close to finishing that game.  As in I think I was in the second to last area and I was raising levels of the demons in my party to fight the area boss to progress to the final stage.  SMT:ST is a game that deals very heavily with mazes (even though there are in-game maps) and knowledge of demons and their abilities), oddly named abilities and skills and when I tried to quickly pick it up a few months game to re-orient myself, I felt lost and confused, not sure where I was or what I was doing when I last played.  Most recently this has happened with Legendary, the FPS about mythological creatures and having to kill them all with a shotgun or SMG.  I had stopped playing because of increasing FPS and because I started playing the Left 4 Dead series.

The threat of restarting from the beginning is present in both SMT:ST and FFXII:RW, but I would rather not.  I would rather have not let Christmas Present Syndrome happen and finished the games while my brain was in them.  I do not think that I will have to restart SMT:ST, but I think FFXII:RW may be a lost cause.  I was only a couple of hours in anyway. . . I think.  The point is, The World Ends With You, you need not worry, I will not let you fall into unfinished obscurity.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Now I Will Stay With You, Until I Have Saved Yours.  That Is My Vow.

No comments:

Post a Comment