Monday, September 24, 2012

NES Adventure Series: Ole's Assault IX by X-Dog


So here's the story behind the reason why there was no blog post on Monday September 17th.  

Dr. Potts, Conklederp, and others (Vorlynx, Siddmesh, Coolman and one other of whom I don't know/have a handle for) went to outside Astoria for an adventure run.  Video games were not involved in anyway but like the logo on the NES box says, it was an "Adventure."  We didn't though have to use a rope swing over any bodies of water.  For those, we either just waded or were forced to jump over.

So this was my first "adventure run" and from what I heard that weekend, it was a much smaller group than some of the larger adventure/obstacle course runs; a la Tough Mudder, Spartan Race and Warrior Dash.  There were only ~300 participants and we all started at the same time, something different than other races apparently where groups of 250 start every 30 minutes for a couple of hours.  It was a nice group; both our group and the entire group of people running, as well as the organizers.

So the course.  The course started out with a mile and-a-half run up a road, then a logging road that went "up" a hill.  We then turned off the road and into the woods/forest/wild.  The majority of the obstacles were naturally occurring, as in climbing over/under felled logs/trees, jumping over streams/creeks, climbing up hillsides and wading through mud pools.  There were some man made obstacles such as a cargo net, log walls, a barbed wire net and a log tunnel.  I was half expecting something to do with fire, but by the end, I wouldn't've been able to jump over a matchbox wall.  I should also mention that I was also wearing a Nalgene pack with close to three liters of homemade Gatorade, a couple of Cliff Bars, a package of FRS energy chews and a mini Leatherman.  The total distance for the run came out to a little over seven miles, which is three and-a-half miles farther than Conklederp and I have run in the past or any reason.

Anyway, I'll sum up the whole experience by saying that it was quite amazing and something that I would very much like to do again.  Our team (The Night's Watch) didn't come in last (partly because two teams got lost/turned around), but I think we had the most fun out of all the groups there.

On an actual gaming side for this post, I was introduced to the card game Munchkin.  It was a little confusing at first, which was partly due to the fact that I was becoming more-and-more intoxicated as the game progressed.  We did manage to get through an entire game though after returning back to the Portland area.

So in the end, why was I unable to put up a post on Monday the 17th?  Because I was tired/sore had a shit-ton of laundry/cleaning to do with all the mud that we adopted the previous day.

~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Apparently You Don't Need to Sign Any Forms.

Any Photoshopping Skills are Due to the Fact that I Don't Own Photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. One of the handles you missed was Sidmesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chreekat, I couldn't remember his. I'll re-edit it in.

    ReplyDelete