Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Impressions: Lone Survivor




This game is a survival horror game in the 16-bit style.  It is definitely plays as a traditional survival horror;  I don't know if I'll live or die every time I play it.  In fact, I'm more likely to think that I'm going to die.  Your character must eat and must sleep.  Food is hard to come by, and his sleep is of a poor quality if he's hungry.  




I can't tell, but I think it may be possible to paint yourself into a corner in this game.  By this I mean to progress to a certain point without the proper amount of items to actually survive and beat the game.  I had this problem the first time I played a Resident Evil game.  I got to the last boss with a knife and five handgun bullets.  Oops.  As I'm playing Lone Survivor, I am very nervous that this will happen again. But I think this is a good thing, not a bad thing.  I want Survivor Horror to be challenging in that way.




There's also a good air of mystery and insanity, making this game more akin to Silent Hill than to Resident Evil.  So far, so good, but I have to admit that I don't beat scary games as fast as I used to.  I'm turning into an old man, I guess.  




I got Lone Survivor as part of the Humble Indie Bundle V.  And since that was a gift from my blog partner here, JDubConian from Woodland,  I didn't pay a dime for it.  But I see you can buy it for $10.  




-DRPFW


2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at this game, wondering when/how I should start playing it and your brief quib definitely has moved it up a few slots in the Games I Haven't Played Yet, But Need To" Queue.

    And coming from the camp of not having a usb controller for PC gaming, with this hamper my gaming experience or are WASD keys adequate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sweet! I'm glad I piqued your interest. Also, that is a good question, the one about the controller. This game should not be hampered by using the keyboard. It may even be improved. Definitely worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete